Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 01:24:43AM +0100, Davide G. M. Salvetti wrote:
> ***** BC => Ben Collins
>
> BC> My question, is non-US on the official CD?
>
> No.
>
> BC> If not then there is no question, no main packages depend on
> BC> non-US regardless of the gpl/opensource/freeness of it. If so then
> BC> _maybe_ it would be ok, if it didn't complicate the install
> BC> process any more than it already is.
>
> My question is: since when the installation process dictates what is
> free and what is not?
>
> I'm not saying next Debian release should already have main packages
> depending on non-US DFSG free ones, I'm just stating this should be
> one of our not-so-long-term goals.
>
> Regards,

This doesn't have anything to do with free, this has to do with a fluid
and reasonably simple installation. non-US packages cannot not be put into
main and cannot be distributed as the normal DFSG comliant ones. This
means you cannot have packages in main that depend on them for the simple
fact it WILL break installations, unless you want to go thru the process
of having an 'internation' and 'domestic' debian CD.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org