Re: .xsession symlinked to .xinitrc?

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

> Rui Zhu <zhurui@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > I don't know if the situation has changed in slink about X start up
> > process, I only followed this list for a few days.  But as in hamm, if
> > you have linked ~/.xsession to ~/.xinitrc (in fact you have your *own*
> > .xinitrc), the system wide /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -> /etc/X11/Xsession
> > won't got called (see /usr/bin/X11/startx).
> >
> > Is this *really* expected behavior?  Some hints?
>
> I haven't looked at this particular case, but you also miss out
> on things like /etc/profile and ~/.profile (or ~/.zprofile if
> using zsh, ~/.bash_profile if using bash, etc).
>
> It would be nice to sit down and run through all the sorts of
> login techniques that are present and come up with a nice
> simple document (and perhaps a list of recommended changes to
> various pieces of software) on the right ways to accomplish:
>
> environment settings,
> shell aliases, shell completion maps, etc.
> sign-on messages,
> ssh-agent key management,
> x desktop initialization,
> adding a system to an existing x desktop,
> linux virtual console management,
> fast non-interactive shell processing,

Oops, it is really a lot of stuff here, which I've not deeply thought
about (my shallow experience :), thanks for pointing out so many brain
works.

> > +dpms, etc., which should have been called by /usr/X11/Xsession. (Is
> > this not a little weird, that user xinit stuff not in INIT file but
> > SESSION file?)
>
> .xinitrc is used by xinit (which is only run after you've logged in
> normally), .xsession is used by xdm (which replaces the normal login
> stuff).  To make it even more fun, a lot of the normal stuff that happens
> at login is shell specific.  [You might even think of xdm as providing
> its own shell -- your .xsession file.]

Personally I only use startx (xinit), because lots of works don't need
X and linux VC is also very nice.  Thinking xdm just like replacement
of normal login stuff, as you said, makes me more easily to
understand those session files.

> It gets complex when you try and provide a consistent base environment
> which is represented through several different access methods.  [say: xdm,
> getty, sshd, telnetd, and /bin/open -w from inittab (for some dedicated
> runlevel)].  And I've not even touched on the nfs environment issues
> [which we do nothing to manage -- you need consisten user ids across
> your network for this to work -- I think we're waiting for someone to
> write some gpled analogy to the andrew file system].

It seems more like a policy problem and personal favor not technical
one, though dealing with it correctly and consistently is not easy
either, in that there are also so many choices.

Regards,
	Zhu Rui