Re: .xsession symlinked to .xinitrc?

Rui Zhu <zhurui@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I don't know if the situation has changed in slink about X start up
> process, I only followed this list for a few days.  But as in hamm, if
> you have linked ~/.xsession to ~/.xinitrc (in fact you have your *own*
> .xinitrc), the system wide /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -> /etc/X11/Xsession
> won't got called (see /usr/bin/X11/startx).
>
> Is this *really* expected behavior?  Some hints?

I haven't looked at this particular case, but you also miss out
on things like /etc/profile and ~/.profile (or ~/.zprofile if
using zsh, ~/.bash_profile if using bash, etc).

It would be nice to sit down and run through all the sorts of
login techniques that are present and come up with a nice
simple document (and perhaps a list of recommended changes to
various pieces of software) on the right ways to accomplish:

environment settings,
shell aliases, shell completion maps, etc.
sign-on messages,
ssh-agent key management,
x desktop initialization,
adding a system to an existing x desktop,
linux virtual console management,
fast non-interactive shell processing,

> +dpms, etc., which should have been called by /usr/X11/Xsession. (Is
> this not a little weird, that user xinit stuff not in INIT file but
> SESSION file?)

.xinitrc is used by xinit (which is only run after you've logged in
normally), .xsession is used by xdm (which replaces the normal login
stuff).  To make it even more fun, a lot of the normal stuff that happens
at login is shell specific.  [You might even think of xdm as providing
its own shell -- your .xsession file.]

It gets complex when you try and provide a consistent base environment
which is represented through several different access methods.  [say: xdm,
getty, sshd, telnetd, and /bin/open -w from inittab (for some dedicated
runlevel)].  And I've not even touched on the nfs environment issues
[which we do nothing to manage -- you need consisten user ids across
your network for this to work -- I think we're waiting for someone to
write some gpled analogy to the andrew file system].

--
Raul