.xsession symlinked to .xinitrc?

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> And in reality, I'd probably oppose this too if it were proposed as
> new policy, but for many (most) users it would be nice to have some
> way that they can take advantage of these things which are (arguably
> AFAIK) better for the common case.
>
> In the following I'm speaking about *most* people, not special cases,
> and I admit that my unix experience isn't broad enough to be *really*
> confident that I'm not missing important reasons why the following
> might be bad ideas...
>
> That said, wouldn't most people be better off if:
>
>   1) their .xsession were symlinked to their .xinitrc

I don't know if the situation has changed in slink about X start up
process, I only followed this list for a few days.  But as in hamm, if
you have linked ~/.xsession to ~/.xinitrc (in fact you have your *own*
.xinitrc), the system wide /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -> /etc/X11/Xsession
won't got called (see /usr/bin/X11/startx).

Is this *really* expected behavior?  Some hints?

That means all system wide and user specific X resources (in
/etc/X11/Xresources and ~/.Xresources) and X modmap files (system or
users') won't be loaded, also all stuff in /etc/X11/config make no
sense any more.  At least in hamm, all that user wants to fire up at
start time of X must go to ~/.xsession file, for example, xearth, xset
+dpms, etc., which should have been called by /usr/X11/Xsession. (Is
this not a little weird, that user xinit stuff not in INIT file but
SESSION file?)  So if you do symlink .xsession to .xinitrc, you should
already be aware, that your *own* .xinitrc must take all the
responsibility of resources and modmap loading.

Comments is welcome, but don't CC me, I'm on list.
:)

Regards,
	Zhu Rui