Re: developer status again

On Fri, Oct 30, 1998 at 04:37:07AM +0000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi
> >>"Bo" == Bo Branten <bosse@ing.umu.se> writes:
>

>  Bo> I think think is unacebtable!
>
> 	That is easy to say when someone else has to do the work. And
>  no, not anyone can volunteer and sign up for approving new
>  developers, since this is a position with a lot of responsibility,
>  and judgement, and the people doing this have to be well known and
>  trusted.

Interesting, as NO ONE seems to know who actually does it...

Also might it be reasonable for said people to reduce the number of
packages they maintain so what time they do have could be spent
processing new maintainers instead of digging through bug reports and
such? (Work which could be filled in by say, the new maintainers?)

>  Bo> If someone is interested in becoming a package maintainer and put
>  Bo> a lot of work in building a package with a program he think is
>  Bo> usable to the debian comunity he should be treated with respect
>
> 	While not commenting on the respect bit (oh, we should
>  certainly treat peole with respect), interest, ability, motivation
>  and effort are not the sole criteria for becoming a debian
>  developer.

No, but they do come close, yes, there are other issues, no, this does
NOT mean we should be just ignoring people who are interested..

>  Bo> and that includes getting an answer on the new-maintainer request
>  Bo> within a week.
>
> 	Shall I send you an address to send in money for a paycheck?

How about opening the positions for handling new maintainers?

First someone steps up and says they want to, then a vote is called (or
it is handled the same way policy changes now are), if the vote passes
then they get the position, simple..

I'd offer to submit a proposal for a policy change however I'm not a
developer yet.. *cough*

Zephaniah E, Hull..