Re: Et voila! (was: Re: Slink not installable from CDs)

Quoting Tyson Dowd (trd@cs.mu.OZ.AU):
> You can have it both ways.
>
> You can even have all packages files on the first CD as well
> as duplicates on each CD.
>
> With the proposed contents description file I
> have posted to the list a few times now, you can even have
> a packages file on every 3rd disk, or every 10th disk,
> or multiple ones for each CD.

So instead of the directions saying "insert all the disks", they say
"insert disks A, C, and D." I'm not sure things have been simplified. If
you're going to have a seperate package file for non-free and for vendor
add-ons, which require a seperate read routine, why jump through hoops
to keep them from having to handle the contrib disk seperately?

And it still doesn't address the problem of someone who burns 2000
copies each of disks 1, 2, and 3, then finds a critical bug in a package
on 3. Does he reburn disk 1 also, so he can update the package list?
Seems like a waste. As I've pointed out, SGI uses the disk-shuffling
routine, and I don't think that it's a real big problem from the user's
perspective.

Mike Stone