Re: Think before upgrading (was: Re: HELP Downgrading (Was: WARNING about XFree86!)

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 01:42:08PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hmm, if I understand the maintainer right he hasn't tested the package
> > himself.  Before I upload any of my packages I install them on my
> > own box and try the main functionality.  I understand "unstable" as an
> > "it works for me" state but this state should be verifyed by the
> > maintainer.
>
> I do test my own packages, too, before I upload them. But then, I do not
> maintain X. I think Overfiend does a GREAT job with the X packages. One
> person alone cant test the X packages properly anway.
>
> Do you really expect him to have a machine for each type of graphic card
> around?
OK, may be I was to angry when I wrote my mail.
To avoid further mails according to my criticism I have to say that
I was to fast and didn't want to offend somebody.
Sorry if this was the case.

> > Seems to me that I have to downgrade to Hamm if I want to do some
> > work under X today. :-(
> Or just stay with the latest X packages that is working for you.
This was the initial question:  Where can I get this old working-for-me
packages?

> Or just wait until enough people have tested the new versions
> successfully.
It was my fault to update blindly.  I considered slink to be as stable
enough to do that.

To come back to the initial problem:
It seem to be solved after unsetting LANG and LC_ALL to cope with the
tetex packages.  May be there went something wrong while dselect has
done its job.  I can't reproduce the problem now.

Thanks to the maintainer for his job.

Kind regards

            Andreas.