Re: LICENSES [was: Re: Have you seen this?]

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 05:17:55AM +0200, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> Sorry, I must be too tired.  I misread a paragraph of yours, so some
> of my previous message probably don't make much sense.
>
> You say that linking constitutes making a derived works of the object
> files and libraries being linked together.  Does that mean that you
> think Debian should convert libc and so on from the LGPL to the GPL in
> order to comply with the license of the GPL'd applications in main?

The GPL'ed apps require that the work as a whole must be distributable
"under the terms of the GPL". Do you think that means that I have to
re-license the individual parts?

If I say, do what you want with my code, and you incorporate it in a GPL
app, do you relicense my work? No, and you can't, because you're not the
copyright holder. You license the whole work as GPL, but still anyone can
take my code and do what he wants. The GPL is more restrictive than my
Public Domain License, which is okay.

Does this clear things up a bit?

Marcus