Re: "super" pkgs (was Re: Back to RedHat)

Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> Yes. The problem of super-packages is that if you install, say, 20
> normal packages by a single "click", you expect to remove them the
> same way... Maybe we need to update dpkg/apt anyway...

So?  We have exactly the same problem with regular packages now, pulling
in libraries and support packages.  And any solution for that solves
this problem too.  And we need a solution whether or not we do
super-packages, so it's really irrelevent to the discussion of
super-packages.

You don't *want* to remove all the packages of a super-package, because
some of those packages may have been installed for *other* reasons --
again, just like libraries.  In fact, I don't think you'll find one
issue about super-packages that doesn't already exist with
non-super-packages like, say, gnome.  The only question I see is whether
we should have super-packages in the main distribution, and I say we
should decide that on a case-by-case basis as people offer
super-packages.
or   cwaters@systems.DHL.COM | above, but it is too long to fit into