Re: Can we pull KDE?

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 07:00:42PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> This borders on the truth.  The current license is not DFSG, since
> GPL+Qt explicitly disallows any distribution.  Also, while we agreed
> that a license which allows distribution could let KDE be distributed,
> that hasn't happened yet, and doesn't begin to cover all the current
> issues.

Pardon me, but I haven't followed this discussion closely enough. Could
anyone please tell me in two or three words why it is illegal to distribute
KDE which is GPLed but linked to a non-free library, but not illegal to
distribute an Emacs binary linked against (for instance) SUN's libc, which
isn't free either.

Besides I think KDE is a major argument for turning users to Linux and SuSe
uses is this way. But then Debian has other problems why the average novice
user might stay away from it. If only the Gnome was ready for prime time...

Don't get me wrong I don't like KDE at all. And I don't like some of the
people working on it. I've had to read too many emails sounding like 'we
rule the world' from them.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes			meskes@online-club.de, meskes@debian.org
Go SF49ers! Go Rhein Fire!	Use Debian GNU/Linux!