Re: Can we pull KDE?

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 07:52:06AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 07:00:42PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > This borders on the truth.  The current license is not DFSG, since
> > GPL+Qt explicitly disallows any distribution.  Also, while we agreed
> > that a license which allows distribution could let KDE be distributed,
> > that hasn't happened yet, and doesn't begin to cover all the current
> > issues.
>
> Pardon me, but I haven't followed this discussion closely enough. Could
> anyone please tell me in two or three words why it is illegal to distribute
> KDE which is GPLed but linked to a non-free library, but not illegal to
> distribute an Emacs binary linked against (for instance) SUN's libc, which
> isn't free either.
>
> Besides I think KDE is a major argument for turning users to Linux and SuSe
> uses is this way. But then Debian has other problems why the average novice
> user might stay away from it. If only the Gnome was ready for prime time...
>
> Don't get me wrong I don't like KDE at all. And I don't like some of the
> people working on it. I've had to read too many emails sounding like 'we
> rule the world' from them.

Evidently the GPL contains an explicit exception for proprietary
libraries which are part of the Operating System. (I thoguht the
same thing as you the last time this whole KDE mess came around)

Personally I have never seen, much less used KDE...and have no intention to
do so. Not because of GPL/QT stuff, just cuz I am happy with my combo of
FVWM2 and tkdesk....I don't need anything else :)

Though I agree with what someone (I forget who...it was over a month ago)
said that it really isn't an issue because we are not violating any
of the authors intents...but... Its not an issue I care enough about.

This argument is just going around and around in circles until everyone gets
tired of it and does productive things....then someone realizes KDE is still
around and it starts up again.

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"