Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

 Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
 Raul> Also, once you've solved the SMTP mail routing problem, perl is
 Raul> a dandy language for dealing with any requirements rewriting
 Raul> message headers and the like.

 >> Perl is overkill.

 Raul> For what?

	Sendmail rules.

 Raul> Once again, header rewrites are not necessary -- they're simply
 Raul> available.

	That is how sendmail works. That is how sendmail has been
 designed. For sendmail, Perl is overkill.

	I am not interested in discussing other MTA's here.

 Raul> If you have some specific case which requires rewrites (for
 Raul> example a mailing list) then it's reasonable to use custom
 Raul> software to do the rewrites.  Anyways, perl is just an example
 Raul> -- the entire unix environment is available for doing header
 Raul> rewrites, should that be necessary.

	For sendmail, the sendmail binaries reads the rules, and does
 the rewrites. Everything that sendmail does is a rewrite rule, with
 function calls as part of the replacement. Using Perl is not an
 option anyway, and having sendmail parse Perl regular expressions is
 a bad idea.

	Sendmail provides just enough functionality in the regular
 expressions to be suited for the task at hand.

	manoj
--
 "Die?  I should say not, dear fellow.  No Barrymore would allow such
 a conventional thing to happen to him." John Barrymore's dying words