Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

 Steve> On 28 Aug 1998 08:57:37 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> Personally, I think sendmail.cf gets a bad rap.

 >> It does have a learning curve, but once learned, it is highly elegant and
 >> simple to use.

 Steve>     I have learned it.  It is a hacked up, poor version of
 Steve> Regex.  I'd rather use *REAL* regex for the rewrite rules.

	It is not a hacked up version of regex. It does not nneed to
 be, a general purpose regex engine shall serve really poorly for
 rewrite rules. It is a specialized matching language, whose tokenizer
 is optimized for the requirements of SMTP address rewites.

 >> Also, I do not see using a compiler to go from a human readable
 >> format to a machine readable format a negative; it is, after all, how
 >> most executables are created.

 Steve> There is a difference between an executable, and the
 Steve> configuration file for said executable.

	You are belabouring the obvious. That was an valid analogy,
 which you seem to have missed the point of. Configuration files are
 read by programs. Configuration files need be written by
 humans. Seems like something that takes the input in a format
 readable by humans, and converts it into a fromat readable by
 machines is a good thing.

	manoj

--
 panic: kernel trap (ignored)