Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
>  Raul> Also, once you've solved the SMTP mail routing problem, perl is
>  Raul> a dandy language for dealing with any requirements rewriting
>  Raul> message headers and the like.
>
>  Perl is overkill.

For what?

Once again, header rewrites are not necessary -- they're simply available.
If you have some specific case which requires rewrites (for example
a mailing list) then it's reasonable to use custom software to do the
rewrites.  Anyways, perl is just an example -- the entire unix environment
is available for doing header rewrites, should that be necessary.

The cases where an actual address should be rewritten that I've run into
have been specialized enough that sendmail couldn't do the job right.

For example: consider the classic case where you want external email
addresses to look different from internal email addresses.  Now,
consider that both the To: and Cc: address lists may have a mix of
internal and external addresses.  So, what you want is to generate two
copies of the message: one going to internal addresses and one going to
external addresses.  [And, yes, this general case can arise, though you
can take steps to minimize its likelyhood.]

--
Raul