Re: more developer identity stuff

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 12:05:09PM -0400, Ossama Othman wrote:
> I wanted to become a developer
> because I wanted to contribute to Debian because I like the Debian
> distribution(s) and because I thought that it would be nice "give
> something back" to Debian; however, not at the cost of divulging
> "sensitive" information.

Hello Ossama,

I think this is fine for both sides. There are lots of ways you can
contribute to Debian, and only a few require your registration as an
official developer. A developer status makes certain things easier, and some
things possible(as uploading packages), but fixing bugs, submitting patches,
documentation, translations, testing reports etc can be done by everyone.

There is a lot of work to be done in Debian. As a developer, you have a
voice if there needs to be done a decision. But, as you know, the
debian-devel list is open to the public.

There is ever the possiblity to come back and apply as an official developer
if you change your mind, or get a way to verify your identity that makes you
feel better (via pgp key signing, for example). I appreciate all your help
you provide as a contributor or as a developer.

Thank you,
Marcus