Re: Shadow file permissions

On Sat, Aug 22, 1998 at 11:06:29AM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
>
>  : On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 09:18:59PM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
>  : > "Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@delphi.com> writes:
>  : >
>  : > > And I have not run Xadmin either (tho personally I don't see
>  : > > the problem with it modifing the files...it is an admin tool
>  : > > afterall...noone complains about vi being able to edit the
>  : > > files...but I didn't get into that argument when I saw it...
>  : > > not interesed in it now :) )
>  : >
>  : > You shouldn't use vi to edit the passwd files either.  Use vipw so
>  : > that there is proper
>  :
>  : I hate to start the "Your Editor Sucks Holy War" but...
>  : I personally will not EVER use vipw....why?
>  : because it is based on vi and I hate vi.
>
> I hate to call you uninformed, but RTFM `man vipw' :)  vipw respects the
> VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables, so you may edit the passwd file
> with emacs if you want to.

I um oops..um...
I stand corrected :)
But your right I was uninformed...but...
when I looked into it a while back I didn't notice that
Maybe it needs a name thats more friendly and doesn't inspire "editor
Prejudice" :)

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"