Re: Shadow file permissions

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:

 : On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 09:18:59PM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
 : > "Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@delphi.com> writes:
 : >
 : > > And I have not run Xadmin either (tho personally I don't see
 : > > the problem with it modifing the files...it is an admin tool
 : > > afterall...noone complains about vi being able to edit the
 : > > files...but I didn't get into that argument when I saw it...
 : > > not interesed in it now :) )
 : >
 : > You shouldn't use vi to edit the passwd files either.  Use vipw so
 : > that there is proper
 : I hate to start the "Your Editor Sucks Holy War" but...
 : I personally will not EVER use vipw....why?
 : because it is based on vi and I hate vi.

I hate to call you uninformed, but RTFM `man vipw' :)  vipw respects the
VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables, so you may edit the passwd file
with emacs if you want to.

Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD
mailto:finn@midco.net           http://www.midco.net
finger finn@home.midco.net for PGP Key: (0xA33B86E9)