Re: Shadow file permissions

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 09:18:59PM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
> "Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@delphi.com> writes:
>
> > And I have not run Xadmin either (tho personally I don't see
> > the problem with it modifing the files...it is an admin tool
> > afterall...noone complains about vi being able to edit the
> > files...but I didn't get into that argument when I saw it...
> > not interesed in it now :) )
>
> You shouldn't use vi to edit the passwd files either.  Use vipw so
> that there is proper

I hate to start the "Your Editor Sucks Holy War" but...
I personally will not EVER use vipw....why?
because it is based on vi and I hate vi.

I know MANY people live vi...and for those that liek it, it is a FINE
editor....but _I_ do NOT like it.

ALso...I have TRIED to learn to use vi but...I seem incapable.
when in vi I am just as likely to give up in disgust as to actually
edit a file.... and I tried vipw once...it is no better

besides...I tend to think that unless you have a huge multi-admin
system, vipw is a bit more paranoid than you really need to be.

I am the only one with root acess on my machine...noone edits passwd but
me. Hell I can't even remember the last time I even HAD to edit passwd by
hand :)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"