Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 10:38:41PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 08:35:51PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> >
> > But I can make a nice game with a progarm with the name 'validate' like:
> >  #!/bin/bash
> >  echo "This System is LCS conform"
> > and make an dpkg-divert to the old script. If the game nice, alle debian user
> > have it and all have a 'LCS conform system'! :-)
> >
> > No copyright can forbit this.
>
> No, copyrights do not cover stupidity, except when used in a sentance ;-)
>
> Why would you wish to lie to your users about the conformance of that
> system? Your name would soon be mud when third party programs failed to
> run on your system because it really wasn't compliant.

This is the point!

Why would Debian lie to ours users about the conformance of our systems?
Our name (Debian) would soon be mud when third party programs failed to
run on our system because it really wasn't compliant.

Debian (and the others distribution) don't lie the users. (In the LJ: 'XXX
isn't LCS conform. ... The LCS program on this distribution lie the Users...'
A nice headline in the press.)

Grisu

--
Michael Bramer - a Debian Certified Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org