Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 10:18:09AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > >
> > > No, copyrights do not cover stupidity, except when used in a sentance ;-)
> > >
> > > Why would you wish to lie to your users about the conformance of that
> > > system? Your name would soon be mud when third party programs failed to
> > > run on your system because it really wasn't compliant.
> >
> > This is the point!
> >
> > Why would Debian lie to ours users about the conformance of our systems?
> > Our name (Debian) would soon be mud when third party programs failed to
> > run on our system because it really wasn't compliant.
> >
> > Debian (and the others distribution) don't lie the users. (In the LJ: 'XXX
> > isn't LCS conform. ... The LCS program on this distribution lie the Users...'
> > A nice headline in the press.)
> >
> So you seem to agree that your arguments based on "your" suggested
> alternate script have no basis, since Debian would never do that.
>
> Seems we agree ;-)

not in all points :-(

Debian don't change LCS programs in a way, that the program say: 'conform'
but the System is not conform.

But Debian may change 'Pathnames', 'Language' and so.

And with this Copyright, Debian can't do this. Debian can not support it!

Grisu

--
Michael Bramer - a Debian Certified Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org
PGP: finger grisu@master.debian.org   --   Linux Sysadmin   --  Use Debian Linux