Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 08:35:51PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> With this copyright I can't change the program:
> - use the new program on my own machine

Sure you can.

> - get the program to my friend

If you haven't modified it you can freely distribute it.

The whole point is to restrict distribution of modified versions. Mud is
of no use to anyone.

> - can't fix an 'rm -rf /' bug in the program and make a NMU upload

You don't need to as no such bug exists, or will exist. There are no write
functions in this script. Nothing more than read access is required.

> - can't translate the Text-Output to france, german, ...

Sorry.

> - can't make a pached version and send it to you.

You can certainly send me a diff.

> I see only "can't" and "not allow"! This software is not free. Debian can't
> support it!

The software is freely distributable. The only restriction is
modification. This is very desirable.

> But I can make a nice game with a progarm with the name 'validate' like:
>  #!/bin/bash
>  echo "This System is LCS conform"
> and make an dpkg-divert to the old script. If the game nice, alle debian user
> have it and all have a 'LCS conform system'! :-)
>
> No copyright can forbit this.

No, copyrights do not cover stupidity, except when used in a sentance ;-)

Why would you wish to lie to your users about the conformance of that
system? Your name would soon be mud when third party programs failed to
run on your system because it really wasn't compliant.

> You see: with this copyright you have no advantage!

I see you are still confused ;-)

> now date say: Thu Aug 13 03:50:07 CEST 1998
> I go to bed. :-)

Good idea.

Dwarf