Re: Configuration management, revision 3

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 03:53:14PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > What's wrong with using the non-interactive frontends? Or a non-interactive
> > option for normal frontends?
>
> I guess I haven't thought the non-interactive frontends through. I was under
> the impression they had to be pre-seeded with data about the questions. If
> they can just return the default to everything (and everything has a sane
> default of course), that handles non-interactive installs nicely.

I just want make a little addition: if a good default can't be obtained
(because there isn't a good default, e.g., the IP of the machine) the
confmodule should report an error but dpkg should *not* stop. Simply
goes on with the install and then re-runs the confmodule on --configure
--pending. (Maybe it, or apt, can tell the user "hey! there are n
uncofigured packages!".)

> It still doesn't handle the concept that some questions are more important
> than others. Ie,
>
> "do you want to run lilo to update the system to use the new kernel image?"
> Is very important (system may not boot without it).
>
> "do you want xfig to be in color or black and white?"
> Is unimportant and if you're in a rush you may want to ignore all such
> questions.

Yes, some questions are more important than others. Some questions
are important enough to *require* user intervention (or a value
extracted from a DB) but not a default.

Ciao,

* Federico DI Gregorio ** GCS/S/>L d- s:>:+ a26 C++ UL++ P+++ L*+++>$ D *
*   <fog@debian.org>   ** W+>++ N+ o? !K w--->!$ O M- V-- PS+(+++) PE(--)
*   Debian Developer   ** Y+(-)(+)(-)... PGP+ s+ 5- X+++ R*<+(+++) b+++ *