Re: "goals" for slink: FHS

Hi,

 Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
 >> I don't like this proposal. This implies that if you want even
 >> one package that depends on fhs, you end up moving stuff
 >> indiscriminately into the new locations.

 Raul> What do you think of the earlier proposal (putting symlinks in so that
 Raul> stuff installed in the new location still appears in the old location,
 Raul> then moving everything later)?

	Well, better than moving everything at the drop of a hat ;-)

 >> Why can't we do it on a package by package basis, and have man
 >> and info look in all possible locations?

 Raul> Do you care that current packages won't be able to read the new stuff?

	What acrually reads stuff in /usr/{doc,info,man}, except for
 humans? If the man and info readers are changed to look in both
 places, that takes care of the man/info problem.

	I guess a backward compatibility symlink for the dirs unders
 /usr/doc is a decent solution for humans.

 Raul> Does it matter that there are a number of packages (not just info and
 Raul> man) that need to be updated?

	Depends. How many packages are we talking about? (It's 3 am
 and I can't think about anything else at the moment)

 >> I instead proposae that we put modified man info packages both
 >> in slink, and in hamm-updates (or 2.0 r2, or whatever), so that peole
 >> can keep a hamm system, but select a few from slink.

 Raul> I don't see how this addresses the issue of keeping man and info
 Raul> visible when someone happens to not upgrade these packages.

	Well, the number of people who do not upgrade man/info to
 newer packages and yet want to install packages from hamm, may have
 problems.

	Hmm. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of
 compatibility symlinks. But then, at some point we shal;l have to
 bite the bullet and remove them. We are just postponing the issue of
 transition and compatibility until we have to remove the symlinks --
 however,it maybe that by that time very few people would not have an
 updated set of man/info/etc packages, andit would be less painful.

	manoj
who needs sleep
--
 "Good literature is about Love and War. Trash fiction is about Sex
 and Violence." Author Unknown