Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Previously Joey Hess wrote:
> This is a great proposal.

Thanks!

> But, it misses some of the stuff Ian Jackson proposed on an earlier thread
> on this subject. He was talking about allowing for completly unattended
> installs, as well as having a way to only see very important questions, etc.

What's wrong with using the non-interactive frontends? Or a non-interactive
option for normal frontends?

> Could we add some kind of a priority value to the interface commands, so
> that if they are of too low a priority, the frontend ignores them and
> returns the defaults?

I haven't got Ian's proposal in my archives here. Can you mail it or do
you have an URL somewhere?

> It'd also be nice to have some way for the TEXT command to be logged to an
> installation notes log of some sort, in some cases.

TEXT is currently defined is a method to add explanatory text to the
questions. Maybe we should add a command oposite to GO, which says
"start building a new display, of type (error|message|input)". Then
we could ditch the RESET command and use that instead. Maybe even add
a priority flag to it..

Wichert.