Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

> (1) This is not an environmental variable, so I hope it's out of
> scope of this discussion.

No, this discussion is about shell startup, not environmental variables.

> (2) Why would you want this?  In some environments (for example,
> distributed X) I may log in every few minutes when I'm active
> remotely, and maybe only once every few days (or longer) when
> I'm active locally.

I don't see how your login habits are relevant.  If the system
administrator wants to force all his users to be painfully aware
when they have incoming files to be unspooled, that is his prerogative.
We're talking about a mechanism for allowing him to make one change and
have it be valid for every participating shell.