Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> wrote:
> > (2) Why would you want this? In some environments (for example,
> > distributed X) I may log in every few minutes when I'm active
> > remotely, and maybe only once every few days (or longer) when I'm
> > active locally.
>
> I don't see how your login habits are relevant. If the system
> administrator wants to force all his users to be painfully aware when
> they have incoming files to be unspooled, that is his prerogative.
> We're talking about a mechanism for allowing him to make one change
> and have it be valid for every participating shell.

It seems like each person who tells me what we're talking about
has a different idea of what we're talking about.

The system administrator already has all the necessary tools to force
whatever he wants on the users as they log in.  This discussion was
started on the premise that we needed a way for package authors to
set environmental variables because their packages needed them.

At the moment, I do not agree with that initial premise, nor do I agree
with the many variations on the theme that have been presented as "what
everyone else is saying".

--
Raul