Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Previously Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	I am not sure I like this. I want, as a sys admin,  to be able
>  control what gets on to my system. I want to check what packages are
>  adding, and I want to have a say in what gets allowed.

Do you also want to say what packages may be installed in the menu?
For normal users dwww-config and lilo-config in there is also quite
silly..

> 	As a users, I may want to over ride setting for the system as
>  well.

There is nothing in the current proposal which claim to prevent that.
In fact it cannot be prevented (unless you hack the shell of course)

> 	With possibility of such configuration, I think any package
>  foisting stuff into my environment is broken. (And don't say I can
>  just remove things -- I should hot have to hack the system by
>  default).

Let's put it the other way around. I think any package which can only
be configured via the environment is broken. Sadly this is case for
a number of packages (apt, man, minicom, etc.)

I also want this for a different reason. I make packages for our local
network to change some defaults. I currently divert a lot of files,
including /etc/profile and companions. If I can reduce the number of
diverts by using a scheme like this I would be quite happy.

> 	This is quite similar to the arbitary programs in ip-up/down
>  dir -- unless the sysadming/user goves permission, this should not be
>  done. Such deviation from UNIX norm should always be *optional*, and
>  preferably on a package by package basis.

chmod -x `which update-profiles`.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl