Re: Automatic building of Debian: some results

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:

> so, the source dependencies discussion is getting old.

Agreed.

> what about implementing it with a master file, that hase the "Source-Depend:"
> line for every package in it ? that way you can test it, make it suit your
> needs.

Well... two questions:
1) Does "Source-Depend: foo" mean "I need package foo installed" or "I
need package foo's source sitting in a directory close by?  Presumably
the former, as the latter would only be needed in very rare cases (I
think some of the pilot tools are like that).  Maybe we can use
"Source-Depends-Source" or similar for the second case.  (Or we could
create a special-purpose -dev package and move these things into the
first case - this may in fact be the ugly but correct course of action)

2) What about "Source-Conflicts:"?  The only example I know of is the
bash issue already mentioned (i.e. bash built with "termcap-compat"
installed builds incorrectly); I assume any automated engine which
builds things can already figure out that, for example, a package that
Source-Depend's on tcl7.6-dev won't build with tcl8.0-dev installed
since those two conflict.

3) Should Source-Depend cover also the tools used in the building
process (for example, gcc, make, etc.) or should we declare a
"standard set" of development tools which it is assumed are going to
be installed on any machine on is going to run the build scripts on?
Using a standard set seems to me like asking for trouble, and I doubt
that the extra typing involved in adding "c-compiler" to the
Source-Depends line is that much trouble.