Re: CD README's

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> James A. Treacy <treacy@debian.org> wrote:
> > The one proviso is that we should also require vendors to sign a
> > contract if they don't use the official images we create.
>
> We *can't* make this requirement.  DFSG says that anyone can make copies,
> and this certainly would apply to unofficial copies.

As well as the Official ones.

Besides, it is pretty hypocritical of us to refuse to sign contracts with
upstream source authors for distribution privileges, but require it for
our own "product" from vendors?

> Also, we have no structures in place for certification of vendors'
> products.  [And this sounds like it's heading in the direction of a
> for-profit activity.  If so, it shouldn't be done under the aegis of SPI.]

This has been my feeling as well. We should not be doing work specifically
to benefit someone elses profit center. That is their job.

Waiting is,

Dwarf