Re: RH and GNOME

"Petra, Kevin J Poorman" <ewigin@SoftHome.net> writes:

> > > dpkg should be made to call alien on a rh package automaticly ... ie:
> > > dpkg -i some_package.rpm would trigger alein, and then dpkg... so that
> > > it's automatic, and easy for newbies, and non-power users, to install
> > > rh packages.
> >
> > This strikes me the same as aliasing -i to rm proper.  I would want to
> > remove it instantly, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  I suppose this
> > wouldn't be so bad though, write a little script.  Perhaps though, a
> > generic "package handler" would be better than using this somewhat
> > kludgy fix.
>
> Great idea. lets do it.

NO THANX! I hate it and my users hate it. We all know what we are doing...
We have all been tough (the _VERY_ hard way), 'Think before you type'!

Protecting the user will not speed up the learning curve, just make it take
longer for them to understand that THEY are in charge, not the OS.

In windows you, as a user, is never in charge, the OS desides what is possible
and what is not... Your knowlage is not important (nor I think, desired).

PS. I would very much like it if you deleted stuff that where not longer
    of relevance in the letter... Might lessen the load on the 'Net a little...

 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /          papadoc.nocrew.org
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson    turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ PGP#788CD1A9   www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B ---------

--
Ortega spy Khaddafi Noriega class struggle Saddam Hussein Rule Psix
arrangements assassination Ft. Bragg quiche Soviet North Korea