Re: Removal of logfiles?

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> As a last resort, if we can not agree... But I want the package gone, that's
> why I do a purge... I don't nessesary want the log files gone.

It's quite simple. If you want the package gone, you do a remove. If you
want the package, plus logfiles, modified conffiles, and any other junk it
may have dumped on your disk gone, you do a purge. This is why we have two
different levels of package removal.

Deleting modified conffiles is far more dangerous than deleting log files.
Modified conffiles may represnt days of work. We still remove them on puge,
because that's what purge is for. Just as rm -rf doesn't prompt you, neither
should purge - this is unix.

Note that the only way you can purge a package is to do it by hand - dselect
only uses remove.

--
see shy jo