Re: Removal of logfiles?

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 10:57:33 +0200
>
> Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
>
> > > I'd suggest that all logfiles will be removed when the package
> > > is purged, but is that written down somewhere and do packages
> > > make use of it?
> >
> > Don't you dare... I think that should be up to the administrator...
>
> When a package is removed it has to remove itself entirely.  I guess
> logfiles also count.

Wrong. That would be like removing generated data files when you remove a
database engine.

Logfiles might be needed in the future for legal reasons.

A few weeks ago I was running dselect via telnet and the remote machine
got disconnected at exactly the wrong time. When I reconnected, I had to
purge and reinstall a package to finish the upgrade. This is a situation
where I would not want the logfiles purged.

However - I do like a clean house. If removing/purging packages generated
'reminder' email (directory /usr/lib/foo not empty so not removed), I
would never complain about that.

pw