Re: Removal of logfiles?

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > As a last resort, if we can not agree... But I want the package gone, that's
> > why I do a purge... I don't nessesary want the log files gone.
>
> It's quite simple. If you want the package gone, you do a remove. If you
> want the package, plus logfiles, modified conffiles, and any other junk it
> may have dumped on your disk gone, you do a purge. This is why we have two
> different levels of package removal.
>
> Deleting modified conffiles is far more dangerous than deleting log files.
> Modified conffiles may represnt days of work. We still remove them on puge,
> because that's what purge is for. Just as rm -rf doesn't prompt you, neither
> should purge - this is unix.

Hmmm... When put in that perspective, I agree... (I didn't know about the
'remove' thingie, I just find the purge option when I was looking for it the
first time, and then never bothered to search again... :)

--purge removes the whole lot. --remove (?) does not remove conffiles and
logs, databases and such... Fine by me.

(boy, my opinions turn quicky today, aren't they... :)

 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /          papadoc.nocrew.org
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson    turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ PGP#788CD1A9   www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B ---------

--
explosion radar Waco, Texas plutonium Nazi class struggle
cryptographic Ft. Bragg Uzi Kennedy arrangements smuggle Qaddafi AK-47