Re: RH and GNOME

On Fri, Jul 24, 1998 at 08:51:17PM -0500, Petra, Kevin J Poorman wrote:
> On 23 Jul 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> I'm sorry you feel that way. I realy do, because I am pointing out a
> problem, but you see the problem isn't in software, it's in the attitude
> and mindset of developers like you.

...of developers like him that we *HAVE* Debian.

> >  Petra,> what we need to realise is that ppl now want everything given
> >  Petra,> to them on a gold plater, yesterday. ppl and that includes
> >  Petra,> managers and IS workers, don't want to take the time to read
> >  Petra,> docs, or configure things.
> >
> > 	I think I do not want to be busting my chops for such, pardon
> >  me, idiots. Any one who refuses to learn how to use their tools
> >  effectively is being short sighted. I have no problem in accepting
> >  that Windows 98 is the perfect OS for such people.
>
> ah, yes, such a selfish attitude. I'm not saying we make EVERYTHING like
> 98, but a few things... like, installation, and manpages.

Go right ahead.  Manoj, I'm sure, would be more than happy to comment
on the technical merits of whatever you and others create.  As far as
selfish... you want *him* to do something *you* want?

> >  Petra,> We should not, comprimise our software standards, for
> >  Petra,> "freeness". We should work to write a "Debian Standard
> >  Petra,> licence" that is basicly gpl, without the bugs.
> >
> > 	What bugs? I find the GPL to work exactly as it should. We
> >  need a strong license that ptomotes and actively propogates free
> >  software, and the GPL does that.
>
> while I haven't memorised the entire gpl, what I have read leves me to
> think that there are a few "bugs" in it.

For example?

> >  Petra,> We should try to mainstream Debian in any way we can, with
> >  Petra,> ad's, banners, logo's... etc. as this will help us grow in
> >  Petra,> the long run.
> >
> > 	Umm, ok. Pray do so, if this is a major goal of yours.
>
> I'm working on it, in my "spare" time

You're not the only one with time constraints:-)

> Can you not read english? ...

> Hows that Enstien

> such  a selfish and lazy attitude, why don't you help.

These kinds of comments are the antithesis of the professionalism we
ought to be striving for in our relations on these lists.  Calling
people like Manoj lazy is a *gross* distortion of the truth.

> >  Petra,> A modification to the gpl, written by a lawyer I know, would
> >  Petra,> cost us ~45$ us. to have a completly air tight (cough)
> >  Petra,> license that incorparates what we want without any of the
> >  Petra,> flaws, of the gpl, or artistic.
> >
> > 	I fail to find anything wrong with the BSD, Artistic, or the
> >  GNU public licenses. What flaws? rather than repeating your original
> >  statement, it would be edifying if you treated us to a view of what
> >  you percieve as a deficiency.
>
> this whole kde stuff could be fixed with a simple clause to the gpl.

So why don't the KDE people add it?  They are the ones who want to
weaken it, not us.

To quote RMS (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-doc.html)

   "... they judge in purely practical terms, not using freedom as a
   criterion.  These people are entitled to their opinions, but since
   those opinions spring from values which do not include freedom,
   they are no guide for those of us who do value freedom."

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org