Re: RH and GNOME

Hi,
>>"Petra," == Petra, Kevin J Poorman <ewigin@SoftHome.net> writes:

 Petra,> we have to maintain a user base greater than 'us' (meaning
 Petra,> developers) in order to survive,

	And I think that user base has never been in jeapoardy,
 really. After all, IMHO, this is the best darned distribution out
 there. I think there are enough people out there who feel the same
 for us not to be running in fear of the sky falling.

	Mind you, I am not saying we should prevent greater popularity
 of Debian (despite the temptation ;-), I am just saying that untoward
 doom and gloom is uncalled for.

 Petra,> and while the user base is NOW increasing, (from what I can
 Petra,> see) I also, see ppl, who converted to redhat, because of
 Petra,> problems, in a: versions of software that where to old, in
 Petra,> bo, b: install problems, c: problems with "Almost standard"
 Petra,> software like X.

	And I see no evidence that we are not working really haed to
 resolve bugs in the software. I fail to see what you wish to
 accomplish by this statement: if indeed we were ignoring hiccups in
 our distribution, you would have a point; right now, this comes close
 to mere complaining, and is not really constructive.

 Petra,> what we need to realise is that ppl now want everything given
 Petra,> to them on a gold plater, yesterday. ppl and that includes
 Petra,> managers and IS workers, don't want to take the time to read
 Petra,> docs, or configure things.

	I think I do not want to be busting my chops for such, pardon
 me, idiots. Any one who refuses to learn how to use their tools
 effectively is being short sighted. I have no problem in accepting
 that Windows 98 is the perfect OS for such people.

	Not every OS is meant for everyone.

 Petra,> Somewhere there must be a middle ground between win 95 with
 Petra,> no user control, and us, with user configuration, of just
 Petra,> about everything. for debian, to survive, we must find that
 Petra,> middle ground.

	I think we are closer to achieving the sweet spot than you think.

 Petra,> which is why we will will fade away unless we find that
 Petra,> middle ground. we must have a distribution, that is IS, and
 Petra,> corparate management useable, so that it will have a market
 Petra,> share at all, once corps. start useing it, it will spread on,
 Petra,> as joe can say, wow I can use this at home, because now I use
 Petra,> it at work as well....

	Try and fight MS on its own grounds, and you shall fail.

 Petra,> Again, your mis reading what I'm trying to say. STOP
 Petra,> READ. Listen to what I am saying. a MIDDLE GROUND of caring
 Petra,> for our users, is possible without sacrificing our "moral" or
 Petra,> "ethical" standards for software.

	What the hell makes you think we do not care for our users? We
 care. We care enough not to let their brains wither away with spoon
 feeding ;-) We are indeed striving for ease of use, and for a geater
 degree of assistance in configuration of complex software.

	I think the problem is that the solutions we espouse are not
 close enough to windows for your liking.

 Petra,> Hell if we cared for our users, just a little more, I'd bet
 Petra,> my shirt, that we would quickly become the most popular
 Petra,> distribution, and then we wouldn't have to wine and bitch
 Petra,> when some lsb choses a standard, thats not ours... because
 Petra,> they would probably chose ours... get it...

	Actually, I think you have no idea of what you are talking
 about. You are somewhat like the management, who pick up nice, big
 sounding ideas all the time, but really have not thought through the
 nitty gritty dirty details.

 Petra,> "We (Debian) should put forth the effort to care for our
 Petra,> users, just a little bit more than we do.

	Really? How? By abandoning the users who do not run a GUI?
 Half of my machines do not run X.

	By making it harder to adminster a system remotely? A text
 based system works under telnet. I refuse to abandone those users.

 Petra,> We should not, comprimise our software standards, for
 Petra,> "freeness". We should work to write a "Debian Standard
 Petra,> licence" that is basicly gpl, without the bugs.

	What bugs? I find the GPL to work exactly as it should. We
 need a strong license that ptomotes and actively propogates free
 software, and the GPL does that.

 Petra,> We should try to mainstream Debian in any way we can, with
 Petra,> ad's, banners, logo's... etc. as this will help us grow in
 Petra,> the long run.

	Umm, ok. Pray do so, if this is a major goal of yours.

 Petra,> We should put away the long held bias agianst X and other
 Petra,> Gui's and develop a Gui OPTION for an Instalation, (posibly
 Petra,> based on ggi, or maybe wxwindows (I think thats it's
 Petra,> name).

	Why do you think a X based system is better? That would
 immediately abandon people who do not run X. It would make
 adminstering a workstation harder. It would restrict what one can do
 to whatever the GUI programmer has provided buttons for.

	I think that would actually be a step back/

 Petra,> We should improve the error hadleing of the debian
 Petra,> install program/script. Ie: fix it so errors are displayed in
 Petra,> a window, instead of the background... thereby helping you
 Petra,> read the message.

	Yup. error logging would be nice. Do you have a technical
 proposal? Which would save the error messages for later, and also
 work for people who do not run X?

 Petra,> We should develop a system of testing

	What do you think the testing and QA groups do? Please do your
 homework.

 Petra,> and a "Debian certification" so that debian power users, have
 Petra,> a leg to stand on when trying to pitch linux to companys. and
 Petra,> finaly we should all listen a little more, and type a little
 Petra,> less. (myself included).

	I personally am against the certification prtograms, since in
 my experience none of them so far have been worth anything
 much. However, if some one can come up with something that rises
 above atamping mediocrity, go right ahead.

 Petra,> A modification to the gpl, written by a lawyer I know, would
 Petra,> cost us ~45$ us. to have a completly air tight (cough)
 Petra,> license that incorparates what we want without any of the
 Petra,> flaws, of the gpl, or artistic.

	I fail to find anything wrong with the BSD, Artistic, or the
 GNU public licenses. What flaws? rather than repeating your original
 statement, it would be edifying if you treated us to a view of what
 you percieve as a deficiency.

	manoj

--
 Rid of craving and without clinging, an expert in the study of texts,
 and understanding the right sequence of the words, he may indeed be