Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Kysh Dragon wrote:

> > So far, Red Hat as been pretty consistent about licensing everything
> > with GNU's GPL. Considering some of the recent discussions here, they
> > might even be more solidly in support of GNU's GPL than we are.
>
> Are you mad? RedHat doesn't even acknowledge the GNU component of their
> system. `RedHat Linux', not `Gnu Linux'.

ah, but most of there "gnu" utilities, are not STRAIT gnu utilities...
AFAIHBT.

> I trust RedHat about as far as I can spit, and not that far.

amen

> > Personally, I'd like to see us working more closely with Red Hat.
> > But to do that, we'd need to come up with a package management system
> > that could work with packages from either system.  At the moment that
> > would mean dpkg being able to install both deb and rpm, transparently
> > (getting this to work would be easy compared to the prerequisite of
> > understanding dpkg as a whole and addressing its bugs and inefficiencies).
> > Of course, maybe Bruce will solve this by trumping both of us.
>
> I like the way someone else said it best... (Whoevers quote this is, I
> hope you don't mind me using it :) `The day RedHat switches to dpkg is the
> day we have a unifyed package format'.

the day that debian, and redhat start a new package management system,
with a comon bin package format, is the day that ppl will start to realy
notice linux.

> > The strength of Linux is that we're a free software community.
> > That means the competition is non-free software, not free software.
> > Red Hat is on our side, I believe.  So is Cygnus.  So is FSF.
>
> RedHat, being a commercial company with interests ranging only in making
> money (And to do this, they have to maintain their reputation -- which is
> why they want to come off as benifiting the free software community), is
> on no-ones side but their own.

Red hat is out to make money. "." they don't care who they step on in the
process either. "."

> > For that matter, even non-free outfits (Corel, Caldera, Sun, Microsoft,
> > etc.)  can be on our side, though obviously some are much more helpful
> > than others.  [But that's another rather involved thread.]
>
> You -must- be joking.

I hope he was drunk. "ms on our side" ?

> > I think we should make a deliberate effort to adopt their standards.
> > And, when their standards are inadequate, get them to adopt ours, or
> > at least document the issues (yes, the whole package management issue
> > is hard, so that's just a "todo", not something that we have to
> > do right now).
>
> They have corrupt standards - They have an utterly different goal than
> Debian - They want people to think that they must pay for Linux - Infact,
> buy their version of Linux. They want to make a profit, in the standard
> commercial way... but Debian is different, which is why it has the
> devotion of this dragoness -- Debian has -ethics-, it has -goals-, and it
> promotes -freedom-. Debian does what it does to benifit the world as a
> whole. RedHat only cares about RedHat.

Yeah ho... lets parade around on our philisophy bandwagon some more while
others run over us... yeah. lets get real and promote something other than
just our good intentions.

> > I don't see Red Hat as a threat.
>
> Betcha said the same thing about Microsoft when they released Xenix. ;>

they actualy released that? ...

> -Kysh
>

> --

Particle man, Particle man
Doing the things a Particle can
Whats he like? Its not important
Particle man is he a dot, or is he a speck
When He's underwater does he get wet, or does the water get him instead?
- -Particle Man, by They Might Be Giants.

- -K