Re: RH and GNOME

As a person that purchased a "full freight" Red-Hat distribution and
then was unable to obtain _any_ official technical support, I feel
qualified to 'bash Red-Hat'...  However, I don't.  I will explain
why I feel that Red-Hat 'let me down' on occasions.

This thread is very opinion based so here is another:
While the Red-Hat web site promotes Red-Hat (what a surprise), it
seems pretty clear to me that Red-Hat also makes it perfectly clear
that they are a _distribution_ of Linux (as in there is more than
one possible distribution).

I agree that the "free download" of Red-Hat Linux is not blatantly
obvious but it is also not hidden either.

Finally, I also agree with those that have expressed that Red-Hat is
not inherently 'evil' because of their attempt to be a viable
commercial enterprise through the production and distribution of
a Linux system.

While I am sufficiently paranoid that I have a basic (initial at
least) distrust of commercial enterprises (a distrust which pales
in comparison to my distrust of government), I also believe that
there still are people in the commercial world (often with, though
not often enough "controlling influence") that have a high degree
of personal integrity and high ethical standards.

Red-Hat has the same need for a perception of differentiation in
their 'product' as does Debian.  From a commercial standpoint it
is essential to the survival of Red-Hat that a sufficient number
of people believe that there are advantages to buying the Red-Hat
distribution/support.

Not to raise the issues that 'drove a wedge' between the Debian
developers and Bruce but at least for some users there really
are advantages to Red-Hat, Caldera, SuSE, etc.

Maybe I am too naive here with this one, but when it looks like
"Brother Bill" is setting up to either buy or bury Red-Hat, then
I will be worrying about their "corporate integrity".

--
best,
-bill