Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 07:40:17PM +0200, joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:
> [...]
> > Given RedHat's current support of the GPL, any fears for future adverse
> > decisions by RedHat are both ungrounded and irrelevant, because Debian can
> > fork off any last GPL'ed version.
>
> OK, let me play devil's advocate for a minute (not that I think RH will
> became our next arch-enemy):

Hum ms:world::Rh:linux world.

> We (the Linux community) have seen how our non-Linux competitors like to
> do their business:
>
> - closed standards.
> - APIs suddenly changing, forcing the competitors to play catch-up.
> - Free licenses going non-free, hoping the market will follow the
>   "industry standard" and forcing us to work on our own free version.
>
> We have more or less suffered all of those tactics (I20, X, ...), and we
> are still alive and kicking because we have a few benefits they don't:
> stability, adaptability, freedom to the the Right Thing...
>
> If RH becomes the dominant player in the Linux market, and they start
> doing the "monopolistic" thing,

Uh, they already have, distributing bin only x servers, there buying into
the same monopoly that is feeding the need for nda... IE: there fueling
the fire... the more they do this... the more reason companys have to do
this type of thing.

> what will we offer to convince a Linux
> user to choose Debian?
>
> - philosophy
> - better package management system
> - better admin/config tools
> - more stability
> - i18n out of the box
> - ...?

Nothing else comes to mind.... and some of the stuff isn't worth anything
to the real world... IE: companys don't give a flying penguit turd what
are philosophy is... they just want it to work... and work well.

> If we want to offer something more than philosophy we have to work on it,
> and make the users know we have it. Havoc's suggestions about
> integrating apt and our menu/documentation system on GNOME look like
> something that we must do.

Agreed.

> As we must move the new dpkg into the light,
> if only to make everyone know dpkg is not a dead project.

Dpkg is just as much a kluge as windows nt5. screw dpkg, finish apt.

Particle man, Particle man
Doing the things a Particle can
Whats he like? Its not important
Particle man is he a dot, or is he a speck
When He's underwater does he get wet, or does the water get him instead?
- -Particle Man, by They Might Be Giants.

- -K