Re: Should we ship KDE in hamm?

I've been following this conversation since the beginning and
thought I'd toss in my $.02(US).

Debian has no control over which license is included in either kde
or Qt.  Debian also has no control over how those licenses will/may
be interpreted in a court of law.  The argument over either of these
issues is moot.  All Debian (as a group) can do is to read the licenses
included in the packages and try to determine whether they are allowed
to distribute the software in either binary or source form (or both).

The problem with the packages under discussion, as I see it, is that
the licenses seem to contradict themselves, at least for the binaries.
This being the case, I cannot see the point of Debian distributing the
kde binaries until such time as 1) the licenses in question are modified
to eliminate the contradiction or 2) Debian (as a group) can agree that
there is no contradiction after all.

Until that time, there should be no distribution of kde binaries, IMHO.
In a situation like this, that may have legal ramifications, trust of
statements outside of the license itself may involve putting your own
neck in the noose, so to speak.

If I'm out of line posting here, please let me know.

Mike