Re: Debian i386 freeze

Raul writes:
> So, for instance, if you order an Office 98 disk from Cheap Bytes, and
> they ship you a pirated copy, then later you get sued because the version
> of Excel you're using occasionally randomly garbles up your accounts?
> You're saying in that case that even though they pretended to ship you
> something with the Microsoft license that they didn't do anything wrong?

What has that got to do with anything I wrote?  If they knowingly sent me a
pirated copy they defrauded me and infringed Microsoft's copyright.  I
could sue them and so could Microsoft.  Note, however, that I would have no
grounds to sue Microsoft.

> There's lots of things that can happen, are you saying that none of them
> ever will?

Nope.  The sky could fall any minute now.  I am saying that there is no
significant probability that any recipient of a Debian CD containing KDE
could successfully sue Debian because they were unable to obtain the right
to distribute modified versions of QT which they somehow imagine was
promised them by the KDE license.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)