Re: Debian i386 freeze

Raul Miller writes:
> > No, it's contract law.
>
> No it isn't.  The GPL is not a contract.  It is a conditional grant of
> rights from the author to the user, and only the author has standing to sue
> to enforce it.

A contract exists wherever something of significant value is
exchanged for something of significant value.  Which is why I said:

> > When value is exchanged for value, both parties are bound by the
> > agreement.
>
> When I order a CD from Cheap Bytes the agreement is "I'll send you
> two bucks if you'll send me a Debian CD." If upon receipt of the CD I
> find that it is not what I expected due to the terms of the licenses
> on some of the programs the most I can expect to get in court is my
> two bucks back. I cannot sue for specific performance under the terms
> of the GPL because the GPL is not part of the contract between me and
> Cheap Bytes.

So, for instance, if you order an Office 98 disk from Cheap Bytes,
and they ship you a pirated copy, then later you get sued because the
version of Excel you're using occasionally randomly garbles up your
accounts? You're saying in that case that even though they pretended
to ship you something with the Microsoft license that they didn't do
anything wrong?

There's lots of things that can happen, are you saying that none of
them ever will?

> > Why not just grant everyone the additional freedom to distribute
> > copies of kde which incorporate Qt?

> Beats me.

Me too.

--