Re: Debian i386 freeze

Raul Miller writes:
> No, it's contract law.

No it isn't.  The GPL is not a contract.  It is a conditional grant of
rights from the author to the user, and only the author has standing to sue
to enforce it.

> When value is exchanged for value, both parties are bound by the
> agreement.

When I order a CD from Cheap Bytes the agreement is "I'll send you two
bucks if you'll send me a Debian CD."  If upon receipt of the CD I find
that it is not what I expected due to the terms of the licenses on some of
the programs the most I can expect to get in court is my two bucks back.  I
cannot sue for specific performance under the terms of the GPL because the
GPL is not part of the contract between me and Cheap Bytes.

> Why not just grant everyone the additional freedom to distribute copies
> of kde which incorporate Qt?

Beats me.
--
John Hasler