Re: Should we ship KDE in hamm?

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Joseph> The KDE people have implicitly granted the right to use Qt
>  Joseph> again and again.  They have not expressly written it, but
>  Joseph> there's enough evidence that they have granted the right
>  Joseph> implicitly to satisfy the question in my mind.
>
> 	But not in mine. How have they managed to convey this
>  information to you, without actually writintg it down? Do you know
>  the developers personally?

Currently I'm having mail exchange with one of their members who I
know personally, even before KDE was born, and he explicitly has
expressed this willingness in his last reply.

> 	Additionally, if they are so darned willing to grant this
>  exception, how come they are not willing to put this in writing? My

I believe they have a different, not so detailed, understanding of
the GPL and haven't thought about this problem before.  Since nobody
except we care that much about copyrights, it was invisible for quite
some time.

>  mother warned me about people pushing a product, making promises,
>  which they would not put in writing. I think she had a point.

*nod*

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  --Larry Wall