Re: Stow.. Don't release it like this?

In article <[🔎] E0yvl6Y-0000L2-00@www.sprocketshop.com> you write:
>I have recently installed the Debian Beta from CD and I found the utility stow
>to be quite useful.  Unfortunately, it also seems to be quite buggy and one of
>the bugs may result in some rather large problems.

I'm the maintainer of the Stow package.  I wouldn't call it "quite
buggy", though -- you've found exactly one bug.

When you ask for a restow, stow will first remove the package, then
replace it.  During removal, stow removes directories from the target
tree when they become empty.  This -should- only happen if stow removes
the last entry from the directory itself, but that presently doesn't
seem to be the case.  This is a bug, and is already reported as bug 24093.

The reason this hasn't been found/fixed earlier is probably that the way
most people use stow involves a target tree, such as /usr/local, which
contains -only- packages maintained by stow.  It -ought- to be safe to
use it in other situations, of course, but by using any software in an
unusual manner, you're likely to turn up new bugs.

Anyway, I've just uploaded stow 1.3.2-10, which has what I believe to
be a fix for this.  Please try it out and let me know whether it really
does fix the problem.  You have, of course, got a record of which empty
directories were deleted (you posted it here) so you can recreate them.

>I was in the process of installing cmucl-18a and was having some problems
>with stow.  I decided to restow the whole package to make sure it was
>installed correctly.  Instead of getting cmucl installed correctly, I
>deleted a number of unrelated directories.  I really don't even know where
>stow got the names for these directories.

It searched through the whole target directory tree in order to remove
the cmucl-18a package, before reinstalling it.  If would have removed
any symlinks into the package directory if it found any, and removed any
empty directories it found after that.  After the removal is finished,
it'll restow the package.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>