Debian NIS = SunOs crash ? (FWD'd)

 The following struck my eye from c.o.l.dev.apps:

From: hdev@kbs.twi.tudelft.nl (Hans de Vreught)

Hi,

I'm a sysadmin of a Solaris/SunOS cluster and at our department the Linux
machines are causing major problems. As far as I know these machines do a
broadcast during boot up to ask who wants to be their NIS server. Well, if it
would remain with one broadcast, it wouldn't be that bad. However, it repeats
it over and over again. All our SunOS machines run portmap_5beta.tar.gz of
Wietse Venema. To give an indication from my syslog file:

 total# service rejected
     10 callit(100004):
    429 callit(bootparam):
    438 callit(mountd):
     34 callit(nisd):
     15 callit(rstatd):
    327 callit(rusersd):
 102640 callit(ypserv):

Well, I don't know if you know what happens if your machine gets 5000 new
syslog entries in 5 minutes, so let me describe what happens. Normally,
I notice that my server starts writing a lot (we log any illegal attempt
to knock at the portmap port) and it starts crawling. Next, the smallest
of our SunOS machines crash, then the bigger ones. And in one occasion
also our server crashed due to the enormous load.

Why does NIS have to repeat the broadcast? We don't answer back. What is wrong
with the configuration or start up of NIS under Linux (as far as I know all
machines run Debian). Is it a bug in NIS? How can I prevent the broadcast
(note that I can't change the Linux machines, but I can relay a request to
change something to the sysadmins of those machines)?
--
Hans de Vreught                | John von Neumann:
J.P.M.deVreught@cs.tudelft.nl  | Young man, in mathematics