Re: Stow.. Don't release it like this?

"Kenneth P. Turvey" <kturvey@www.sprocketshop.com> writes:

> I have recently installed the Debian Beta from CD and I found the
> utility stow to be quite useful.  Unfortunately, it also seems to be
> quite buggy and one of the bugs may result in some rather large
> problems.

> An example from my own system follows:

> www:/usr/stow# stow --restow --verbose cmucl-18a/

Why are you using stow on /usr?

> RMDIR /usr/local/stow/swim_motif_2.1/doc/swim_motif_2.1/mot-ug
> RMDIR /usr/local/stow/plan-1.6.1/lib/plan/netplan.dir
> RMDIR /usr/local/stow/plan-1.6.1/doc/plan
> RMDIR /usr/local/stow/plan-1.6.1/doc
> RMDIR /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
> RMDIR /usr/local/share/emacs/20.2/site-lisp
> RMDIR /usr/local/share/emacs/20.2
> RMDIR /usr/local/share/emacs
> RMDIR /usr/local/share
> RMDIR /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/auto/Text/ParseWords
> RMDIR /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/auto/Text
> RMDIR /usr/lib/perl5/IO
> RMDIR /usr/lib/texmf/fonts/tfm/jknappen/ec
> RMDIR /usr/lib/texmf/fonts/tfm/jknappen
> RMDIR /usr/lib/texmf/fonts/pk
> RMDIR /usr/lib/texmf/lists

Stow certainly does let you shoot yourself in the foot.  I'd be
interested in knowing what is in /usr/stow/cmucl-18a.  I've run stow
in /usr/local with some non-stow stuff in it and have never seen
anything like this, but I could see how it could happen if there was
some weird stuff in /usr/stow/cmucl-18a, or if there were weird
symlinks in /usr from previous invocations of stow.

Stow is intended to be used for managing stuff like /usr/local or
/opt, not /usr.

> I was in the process of installing cmucl-18a and was having some problems
> with stow.  I decided to restow the whole package to make sure it was
> installed correctly.  Instead of getting cmucl installed correctly, I
> deleted a number of unrelated directories.  I really don't even know where
> stow got the names for these directories.

The manpage says:

: The stow directory is assumed to be the current directory, and the
: target directory is assumed to be the parent of the current directory
: (so it is typical to execute stow from the directory /usr/local/stow).

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with stow.  I can say that I've
used stow in /usr/local for quite a while and have used restow
without major problems.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu