Re: Uploaded gimp-manual 1.0.0-1 (source all) to master

On Jul 06, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 05, 1998 at 11:54:02PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> > I do agree we need something on the order of the DFSG for
> > documentation.
>
> I think the DFSG is perfectly okay for documentation --- the rationale we
> have for freeness of software applies to relevant technical documentation as
> well.

And I believe this is what the policy says at the moment (regardless of
whether or not this is a good idea, which I firmly believe it isn't, but
that's a side issue).

Therefore, we should exclude all non-DFSG-free documentation from hamm/main,
hamm/contrib, slink/main and slink/contrib (placing it in hamm/non-free and
slink/non-free), pending (a) massive outcry from the user base about us
providing a distribition with little useful documentation, followed by a
sheepish reversion to current practice [and inclusion of this current
practice in our "social contract"], (b) determination of what other policy
will apply to documentation or (c) a decision that policy does, in fact,
apply to documentation.

If the group decides we're going to abide by these principles, we ought to
abide by them... and it ought to be a release-critical item (or do we want
to release a non-DFSG-compliant 2.0?).

Chris
|       Chris Lawrence       |   You have a computer.  Do you have Linux?   |
|   <quango@ix.netcom.com>   |     http://www.linux-m68k.org/index.html     |
|     Contract Programmer    |      Join the party that opposed the CDA     |
|     FedEx Ops Research     |              http://www.lp.org/              |