Re: intent to package: licq

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Lalo Martins wrote:

> However, it uses the ICQ protocol (it actually acts as if it was
> ICQ) so I wonder if it is legal.

My layman's opinion: it probably runs afoul of the reverse-engineering
clause in the ICQ license.

Even if there is a loophole around that, there is nothing to prevent
Mirabilis from changing their servers and software to lock out third-party
software.  I think this is likely to happen, since Mirabilis has been
purchased by AOL, and AOL has stated its interest in turning ICQ into an
advertising vehicle.

Personally, I'd like to see an ICQ-like app that does not rely on
Mirabilis's servers or protocols, perhaps making use of the IRC protocol
instead.