Re: intent to package: licq

On Jul 07, Gregory S. Stark decided to present us with:

> 1) They distribute their binaries under a license which says basically:
>    ``You may distribute this package under the terms of the GPL with the
>      additional exception that you may distribute it linked against the
>      Qt libraries without including Qt library source.''

Sounds like a damn good sollution for me, and I'm gonna propose
it to the author of licq.

> 2) The Qt people extend their license to allow distribution under this
>    modified license. I'm not sure, their existing terms may allow this
>    already.

Huh? The point of your sollution is making the KDE/licq/whatever
license compatible with Qt's. So _if_ it was necessary to modify
Qt's license, your sollution would be inperfect. In fact, the
way you spell it makes it 100% compatible with Qt AFAIK (but I'm
not a lawyer, I'm not even american).

> 3) In theory the KDE people might need permission to
>    distribute the modified GPL because the GPL itself it
>    copyrighted. However I think this is moot, RMS has on
>    several occasions suggested writing exceptions just like
>    this.

Yes. You _can't_ distribute a program with a modified GPL; but
you _can_ distribute a program that says "this program may be
distributed under the terms of the GPL; as a special exception,
you may..." - check /usr/include/g++/{one of the files that was
written by GNU}:

| This file is part of the GNU IO Library.  This library is free
| software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the
| terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
| Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
| any later version.
|
| This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
| but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
| MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
| GNU General Public License for more details.
|
| You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
| along with this library; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free
| Software Foundation, 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.
|
| As a special exception, if you link this library with files
| compiled with a GNU compiler to produce an executable, this does not cause
| the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
| This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why
| the executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License. */

[]s,
                                               +----
--
   Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night...
                 pgp key in the web page

Free Software Union       --       http://www.fslu.org