Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Hi,

 Steve> On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 11:56:53AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:

 >> Frankly, we might be violating the law by placing kdebase binaries on
 >> our ftp site.

 Steve> Then do the right thing and ask Trolltech if they object and
 Steve> ask for an aswer on the record.  I'm willing to lay good money
 Steve> down that they do not.

	I am not sure that a stement by a troll tech employee would be
 legally binding, especially if the GPL insists on the source gbeing
 distributed under all circumstances, and Troll tech's licence places
 legal restrictions on that. Personal interpretations of the licence
 mean nothing; only legal interpretations (possibly in a court of law)
 have meaning.

	If the licence says you may not copy something, then that is a
 legally binding statement,I think. However, I am not a lawyer. I just
 would not like to make myself liable in a cse like this based on an
 employee statement.

	(Does the IRS not say that they are not bound by what IRS
 staffers tell you on the phone?)

	Even if the intent of Troll tech was something else, they
 wrote the licence; and the licence is what we have to live with.

	However, by all means go ahead and ask.

	manoj
--
 He who drinks in the Truth will live happily with a peaceful mind. A
 wise man always delights in the Truth taught by the saints. 79